Wednesday 10 June 2009

Make my Vote Count ask for your personal stoy as a Fair Voting activist

The Make My Vote Count website

The Make My Vote Count website is inviting activists to send in their stories. They say;

If you have any comments or stories about electoral reform activism then email them in to us and we'll share them.

For now here is our very own activism programme coordinator Phil Connor explaining how he got into reform campaigning.

Phil Connor, 24, Glasgow

“I guess a part of me had always thought that some form of PR would be a good idea but I kind of serendipitously fell into activism through a friend who had volunteered with the Electoral reform Society Scotland in the run up to the 2007 Scottish Parliamentary elections. He did it because his course tutor encouraged him to while I did it because I had too much time on my hands and wanted to have a look at getting into politics a bit more.
For me, while people might not always be good at outwardly expressing the need for electoral reform (a fact that anti-PR politicians love to harp on about) many of their complaints about politics are just an undirected way of putting this. Concerns about politician accountability, feelings of alienation from politics, a belief that their vote won’t count and that their views aren’t being represented, to me all link back to our easily improvable voting system. Activism is about latching on to these feelings and showing them that ER is the outlet!”


via makemyvotecount.org.uk

Posted via web from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis