Sunday 6 March 2011

KAREN ARMSTRONG'S 12 STEPS: Does hope lie only in raising massively consciousness of the centrality of compassion and The Golden Rule?


'Love your enemies' - It's tough

Armstrong admits compassion isn't a very popular virtue. "People often prefer to be right," she says. And though she offers these 12 steps, it's not a get-compassionate-quick scheme. "This is a struggle for a lifetime, because there are aspects in it that militate against compassion." For example, it's hard to love your enemies. We are driven by our legacy from our reptilian ancestors, Armstrong says. It "makes us put ourselves first, become angry, [and] when we feel threatened in any way, we lash out violently." Armstrong says she struggles with compassion, "all the time, every day." She admits to a sharp tongue, and "like everybody, I feel I've suffered, I feel I've been damaged, I meditate unpleasantly on my enemies and feel this corrosive sense of anger."  SOURCE

Armstrong is getting more up-front, more whole, more wise - more compassionate - unlike a very large proportion of religionists.  

Does hope lie only in raising massively consciousness of the centrality of compassion and The Golden Rule?

Posted via email from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis