Friday 17 July 2009

How alienated do you feel?

How alienated do you feel?

How alienated do you feel?435px-Alien

Empowerment, a new vision and orientation, deepened meaning, finding new community, healthy self-regard, social interaction – these would seem to be the answers to alienation, if we invert or reverse the 6 aspects in the analysis by the sociologist Seeman.

The importance of this seems to be vital to many of our challenges such as combatting extramism, knife-crime, mental health and so on.

The sociologist Seeman analyzed alienation into six aspects that still have meaning:

1.  Powerlessness: “Nothing I do makes a difference.”  “You can’t fight city hall.”

2.  Normlessness: “Being ‘good’ just won’t cut it anymore.”  “Nice guys finish last.”

3.  Meaninglessness: “I can’t make sense of it all anymore.”  “What’s it all about?”

4.  Cultural estrangement: “My culture’s values aren’t mine.”  “What is ’success,’ anyway?”

5.  Self-estrangement: “My work doesn’t mean much to me.”  “What I learn in school isn’t relevant.”

6.  Social isolation: “I’m alone.”  “I don’t fit in.”  “No one visits me anymore.”

Give yourself a score out of ten – if there is room for improvement make a plan and get going!

SOURCE – Dr C George Boeree’s excellent site on personality theories HERE

Posted via web from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis