Tuesday 14 July 2009

Advancing unity in Cyprus

Advancing unity in Cyprus

Lib Dem peer Lord Watson of Richmond writes about ending the community divide in Cyprus, ahead of his Lords question on Tuesday.

It was a recent visit to Cyprus that has prompted me to put down a parliamentary question for July 14, on the unity of Cyprus.

I was in Cyprus to launch the 51st international branch of the English-Speaking Union and was struck by the surprising degree of dialogue and co-operation between the two communities and their shared desire for a solution despite all the difficulties. A solution is essential, in my view, if Turkey is to join the European Union.

During my visit, I crossed the so-called 'green line' from the Greek Nicosia to the Turkish occupied area and it is surely inconceivable that such a border be allowed between two EU states. Although the no-man’s land at the border lacks the former grimness of Potsdamer Platz in a divided Berlin, it is nevertheless bleak and sad.

The EU Enlargement Commissioner, Olli Rehn, has said on record that Cyprus is “likely to prove a catalyst for Turkey’s progress towards the European Union”. That is certainly my own view.

Click on link to read full article.

Posted via web from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis