Monday 28 May 2012

"The creation of a fresh perception of the world. Thus I explain in a new way the world unknown to you". - John Berger

 This is from an article written in 1923 by Dziga Vertov, the revolutionary Soviet film director pictured in Figure 2.1:

I’m an eye. A mechanical eye. I, the machine, show you a world the way only I can see it. I free myself for today and forever from human immobility. I’m in constant movement. I approach and pull away from objects. I creep under them. I move alongside a running horse’s mouth. I fall and rise with the falling and rising bodies. This is I, the machine, manoeuvring in the chaotic movements, recording one movement after another in the most complex combinations.

Freed from the boundaries of time and space, I coordinate any and all points of the universe, wherever I want them to be. My way leads towards the creation of a fresh perception of the world. Thus I explain in a new way the world unknown to you.

Quoted in John Berger, Ways of Seeing, Penguin Books, 1972, ISBN 978-0140135152
Man with a film camera

Posted via email from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis