Thursday 28 May 2009

The Press Association reports that two MPs step down over expenses row;

Tory backbencher Julie Kirkbride has succumbed to intense pressure over her expenses by saying she will stand down as an MP.

At the same time, Luton South Labour MP Margaret Moran announced she will also stand down at the next election.

Bromsgrove MP Ms Kirkbride followed her husband, Andrew MacKay, in announcing her departure from parliament at the next general election.

The couple came under fire when it emerged that Commons allowances had been used to simultaneously fund both the homes where they lived.

In a resignation letter to party leader David Cameron, Ms Kirkbride wrote: "Today I am announcing that I will not seek re-election for my Bromsgrove constituency. My principal concern has to be for my very loyal local supporters in Bromsgrove whose trust in me has been very humbling in the last few weeks.

-0-

Amongst all the casualties, by the time this has run its course there will be some reasonably decent people out in the cold – should it be the Fees Office and ex-Speaker Martin on trial?

The article is HERE - http://www.pressassociation.com/component/pafeeds/2009/05/28/two_mps_step_down_over_expenses_row?camefrom=home# 

Posted via web from sunwalking's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My focus is inter-spiritual living

ShareThis